Work Location: 837 Chestnut Ridge Road, Morgantown, WV, 26505
Classification: Salary, Non-Classified, Full-Time Benefits, FLSA Exempt
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled.
WVNET is seeking an organized, self-motivated, Supervisor of Development Team to lead projects using their expert knowledge of web design and development, programming, media creation, and documentation. The Supervisor will collaborate with senior management and other departments to gather, publicize, promote and advertise organization services and accomplishments. Additionally, the Supervisor will serve as the Web Developer and is responsible for the design, creation, and maintenance of Web sites for a range of clients (elementary schools to national corporations) as well as a variety of digital content, including but not limited to images, photographs, audio, video, graphics, logos, and promotional pieces (until a new web designer is hired). The Supervisor must possess an extremely versatile skill set and feel comfortable hand-coding Web pages and applications, cultivating relationships with clients, as well as creating/editing media from custom logos to custom themes.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead the Software Development/ Web Development/ Content Management team on current projects and plan for future projects in consultation with Teaching & Learning Commons (TLC) Manager. Facilitate collaboration between team members, and with other WVNET teams. Delegate and assign tasks to development team as appropriate to successfully accomplish project and group goals. Mentor new team members. Serve as backup for Teaching & Learning Commons (TLC) Manager.
- Design, develop, create, and maintain 200+ websites, including but not limited to images, photographs, audio, video, graphics, logos, and promotional pieces, for the institution and its clients, and assist departmental units with construction and maintenance of websites. Oversee Web site design development and construction, including mockups and custom themes.
- Oversee monitoring and performing daily updates of plugins, themes, and core CMS, including vital security plugins across all hosted websites. (CMS updates, OZ tickets, etc.). Maintain Web accessibility, perform ADA Compliance audits.
- Project management, including timeline/budget estimates for Development Team Create/edit graphics, images, logos, photographs, and videos
- Formulate and provide timeline/budget estimates for clients and assist in drafting of MOUs for web development and web support services provided by the institution.
- Maintain strong working relationships with current clients and foster new relationships with potential clients as opportunities arise.
- Install, configure, and style websites using WordPress, by creating custom themes and child themes from scratch, as well as utilizing available third-party plugins and themes as appropriate.
- Install, configure, and assist in front-end development (UX/UI) of web applications.
- Maintain knowledge of and actively apply W3C best practices and accepted standards in design and development of accessible websites and content for all users, including the ability to perform comprehensive audits of content in regard to Section 508/ADA Compliance.
- Aid in the design and development of instructional content for professional online training, and, if needed, serving as the instructor for appropriate web-related courses.
- Participate in Marketing Committee and marketing initiatives.
- Assist in design, development, and presentation of and serve as instructor for online Web courses on various web-related best practices topics and how-to tutorials.
- Research and Development, including personal skills training.
- 5 years of Web site creation development/maintenance.
- 5 years of WordPress and/or similar CMS.
- 2 years of Graphic/Digital User Interface/User Experience design.
- 2 years of Programming.
- 2 years of Project Management.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related field.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Must have experience in creating websites that pass W3C HTML and CSS validation as well as ADA compliance.
- Must have experience with developing with tools that produce websites that are completely functional across platforms, screen-sizes, and devices.
- Preferred identifying and addressing errors in regard to Web accessibility, as outlined in W3C standards. Experience includes with knowledge of frameworks (such aseg. Bootstrap, and Angular), is a plus, along with database structure and management (MySQL/MariaDB), web hosting, website security, SSH, Git and use of FTP client (e.g., FileZilla). Excellent writing/editing skills, project management skills, communication, and training presentation skills are required.
- Project Management skills.
- Leadership and supervisory skills.
- Organization and attention to detail.
Starting annual salary of $75,000 – $85,000 and commensurate with experience. Additionally, WVNET offers an excellent benefits package which includes comprehensive health, retirement, and insurance plans as well as generous amounts of vacation, sick, and holiday leave.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer/Veterans/Disabled
The West Virginia Network for Educational Telecomputing (WVNET) is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. WVNET provides a collegial, respectful and inclusive environment that values the diversity, creativity and contributions of its staff.