Acceptable Use Policy – WVNET Services
Revised June 2022
This Acceptable Use Policy describes what you can and cannot do while using services provided by WVNET. This may not be a complete description, and WVNET reserves the right to change this at any time.
WWVNET’s services may only be used for lawful purposes. You agree to comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations in connection with your use of the services. WVNET reserves the right to refuse service to anyone. Any material that in our judgment violates this policy in any manner may be removed from our servers (or otherwise disabled), with or without notice.
WVNET is a West Virginia State Agency and an Educational Entity. As such, any content on our servers is bound by state and federal regulations (e.g., FERPA, COPPA). You agree that content on your web site will comply with these regulations.
- Your web space at WVNET is strictly for storage of the content that appears on your web pages. All content must comply with rules, laws and policies stated above. You must have the legal right to publish and distribute all content. Any material that, in our judgment, is obscene, threatening, illegal, or violates our AUP in any manner may be removed from our servers (or otherwise disabled), with or without notice.
- WVNET requires an administrative login to your web site for the purpose of ensuring that the site has the latest maintenance and security patches, and to assist with solving problems.
- Infringement of Intellectual Property Rights
- Infringement upon another party’s intellectual property rights is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to, the unauthorized copying or distribution of movies, music, books, photographs, software, or any other copyrighted work.
- On-line file storage
- Using your web space for storage of files unrelated to your web site is not allowed.
- Software Distribution
- Your web space may not be used for the transfer or distribution of software.
- Unauthorized Processes
- You may not run any programs on your web site that are not pre-approved by WVNET. You may not run any background servers or daemons.
- Unauthorized Database Queries
- You may not run any database queries that are not part of a WVNET-approved content management system process.
- Resource Intensive Usage
- If it is determined that your web site is using an abnormal amount of resources (i.e., processor, memory, bandwidth), we reserve the right to disable your site until the problem is corrected.
- Bulk Mail or Message
- You may not use email or messaging software to send anonymous or bulk mail or messages.
- Broadcast/Streaming of audio/video
- You may not use your site for streaming media. If you need this functionality we recommend using one of the numerous available streaming resources intended for this purpose.